[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Request

Gary W. Kronk wrote:

> Okay, its finally happened. The university is beginning to cut back on
> personal web pages and my Comets and Meteor Showers page is currently
> taking up nearly 20 MB of hard disk space. I don't quite understand it. A
> space of 20MB is a very small fraction of the hard disk space available on
> our web server disk and the system was hardly phased by the 90,000 accesses
> per day during the Leonids. But its happening.
>
> I am in the process of moving the site to Geocities. I am paying the $5 per
> month for a short address and 25MB of disk space. I have been happy during
> my personal testing, but I have two weeks left on my free trial period and
> I need some serious testing now.

The bottom-line is how it will perform during HIGH volume traffic.
You'd better check this out with your ISP.  The smaller ones (more
expensive) would probably be better, than the high-subscription ISPs.

 My server crashed during peak periods of hale-bopp (over 1 million
hits, I never did a detailed parse of the log-file).  Subsequently, my
ISP gave me their best server with a T3 line to the backbone of the
Internet (no intermediary)

> The new address of the Comets and Meteor Showers site is
>
> http://www.geocities.com/~garykronk/
>
> Some links will take you back to the current server at the medical school,
> but the meteor shower calendar has been completely moved. Please test the
> site and respond back to me personally, instead of to the meteorobs list.
> Keep in mind that some internal links on some of these pages may not work.
> Although I am trying to get these fixed, it wouldn't hurt to let me know,
> just in case it got dropped from my extensive list.  :-)

Your link to my comet site has been dropped for a LONG time, what
happened??  Hale-Bopp, Hyakutake at http://www.comet-track.com.  I'm
listed on many professional observatory sites, included ESO (which you
yourself link)

You should list my meteor site as well,
http://www.comet-track.com/meteor/meteor.html