[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Clusters & 3 Letter Codes

Hello Robert,
            The cluster of radiants I was referring to are the same group you
mentioned, i.e., the (SAG)(ASC)(NOP)(SOP) radiants in Scorpio...I just mentally
misplaced them in Sagittarius.  I have NOT observed any particular activity there,  I
simply noticed on the "Shower" software by Pierre Terrier that such a cluster was
currently active.  But I'm sure that at least some of my "sporadics" are from this
group.  As a "newbie," I've been advised not to plot so I don't...I guess I was just
looking for an easy tag for any meteor that come from this part of the sky.  But I
did not intend to make up my own code...I was wondering if there was a pre-existing
"catch-all" code for this group of radiants.  I was facing Scorpio during the obs, by
the way!  Thanks for the reply!

Outbursts,         Kim S. Youmans

Robert Lunsford wrote:

> Kim,
>
> If I saw a cluster of radiants occurring in one area of the sky I would
> label them as sporadic but make a note of this occurrence in my
> observing log. I would try to observe the very next night to verify any
> continued activity. The following year I would try to do the same. If
> this activity repeats itself for several years then you are on to
> something.
>
> If we had each observer making up their own 3 letter codes it would
> tend to create chaos to those who try to analyze such data.
>
> Out of curiosity Kim, were you facing toward Sagittarius while
> observing? If not I would bet that this activity was actually radiating
> from the constellation of Scorpius which is the center of the current
> anthelion activity which includes the Sagittarids (SAG), Alpha Scorpids
> (ASC), and both the Northern (NOP) and Southern Ophiuchids (SOP).
>
> Bob Lunsford
>
> "Kim S. Youmans" wrote:
>
> >         The question on sporadic activity, in particular, about how high a rate
> > is too high, resonates with me as I just finished an observing session this
> > morning with a quite high sporadic count.  The final hour before dawn (when I
> > naturally expect to see the most) produced 13 sporadics and 4 ETA's.  I noticed
> > a cluster of radiants in Sagittarius are active now;  my main question is
> > this....if I trace a meteor back to this "cluster" of radiants, but can't peg
> > down exactly which radiant as they are all so close together,  is there a
> > single three letter code I could use, like SAG, the denote this "generality?"
> >                                            Outbursts, everyone!   Kim S.
> > Youmans

Follow-Ups: References: