[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) another fireball report

>>>    Tuesday, July 6th at 8:25, an object plunged into the atmosphere
>north-northeast of my home in Petal, Mississippi.  No kidding.  It
>seemed to start a few degrees short of zenith and in less than a second,
>disappeared just above the horizon.  <<

Sounds like a very fast meteor fairly early in the evening? I don't know if
this person was implying that the meteor "landed" or "ended" fairly close to
his house or not, but reporting that a meteor "disappeared just above the
horizon" or "over those trees" is typical of those who don't realize that the
meteor appearing as such is really very far away. If it wasn't and it glowed
almost all the way to the ground fairly close, it would be a whopper well
over 10 tons in size. When it hit the ground, it probably would have been
well noticed by many, along with the sonic boom it would have created in
route.
GeoZay