[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) obs. LANMA July 10/11 1999

Hello,

Last weekend, I was staying in Gronau (Germany) with Carl (Johannink) and
Elisabeth, and we joined forces (together with several other people
including Arnold Tukkers and Rita Verhoef) in an observing session from
Lattrop Public Observatory (in the Netherlands, just across the border) in
the night of Saturday on Sunday. Data are in table below.
It was a clear tranquile night, with very warm and pleasant temperatures
(we didn't need sleeping bags -Arnold even observed in shorts the whole
night). A nice milky way was overhead, and limiting magnitudes were near
+6.5 -not bad at all for an early July night (from mid May to mid july,
our 52d latitude sees continuous twilight). In total, we were with seven
meteor observers (including some novice) at the observing platform, which
made for a very pleasant and enjoyable atmosphere with a lot of laughter
from time to time. In the dome, comet observer Reinder Bouma was
hunting down faint comets with the 40cm telescope (he made estimates on 9
one that night!).
It turned out to be a productive night with good meteor activity, albeit
that no really spectacular specimens appeared, most stayed rather faint.
In just over 2.5 hours effective between 22h and 1h UT, I caught 48
meteors. A few early Perseids, some Capricornids, one early omicron
(alpha) Cygnid, and one late tau Aquarid (July Pegasid); and a good
batch of (mostly faint) sporadics as well. A very pleasing night. I was
glad that the 55 km bicycle tour of Carl and me that afternoon did not
lead to fatigue (we took a little nap after our tour before going to
Lattrop). Due to my current busy job as a field archaeologist, I have had
no opportunity to observe after January 17/18, so I was glad to be able
to catch this night and see that I still hadn't lost my skills.
Hopefully, more nights will follow in due time. All in all, it was very
inspiring to be out at night again.

- Marco Langbroek

Observer; Marco Langbroek    LANMA
Date; 10/11 July 1999
Location; Lattrop Obs., the Netherlands, 52d 26'N, 6d 58'E

UT            Lm    Teff    Spo   Per    Cap    oCyg     tAqr  Sag
22:10-23:00   6.4   0.73     9     1      0       0       0     1
23:00-00:00   6.5   0.90    12     0      2       0       1     0
00:00-01:05   6.3   0.90    18     2      1       1       0     0

TOTAL        <6.5>  2.53    39     3      3       1       1     1   n=48

                            +1    +2   +3   +4   +5   +6     <m>
Sporadics                    2     2    9   19    5    1     3.59
Perseids                     0     2    0    1    0    0     2.67
Capricornids                 0     1    1    1    0    0
omicron Cygnids              0     0    0    1    0    0
tau Aquarids  (J. Pegasids)  0     0    1    0    0    0
Saggittarids                 0     0    0    0    1    0