[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Discovery Channel to cover eclipse

Here's a quick report of the eclipse from Bulgaria

N o t  o n e  cloud has spoiled the view of the outstanding maximum
corona of 11 Aug 1999 for those who had followed the NASA Circular's
advice and travelled to Bulgaria's Black Sea coast. Our group of
observers - participants of the international pro-am planetary science
conference "MEPCO'99" in Varma - had gone to Shabla, basically on the
center line. And we were treated with a fantastic maximum corona, full
of minute detail, arcs and streamers - and countless big prominences.
Only a few days before the eclipse tourism had picked up in the
eclipsed north-eastern corner of Bulgaria, and it were mainly Bulgarians
who had come (often driving for many hours in their cars), to be joined
by tourist buses from the famous sea resorts along north of Varna.
Eclipse commerce - which had been heavy in central Europe - had been
all but absent: on one hand a missed business opportunity that
especially the rural areas of Bulgaria could have needed, on the other
hand an occasion for an almost serene atmosphere for observations of
Nature's greatest spectacle under perfect conditions. Add to that the
great hospitality of Bulgaria's people plus the many astronomical
attractions of this under-rated Balkan country - and you got one of the
best eclipse experiences I  e v e r  had. And this was total eclipse
number 9 for me (and central eclipse number 12)...

Daniel Fischer, posting from an Internet cafe in Varna with a
super-fast connection. Stay tuned for a more detailled report on
"ASTROMANIA'99" (they really called it that way in a Bulgarian
astronomy magazine) on my website in a few days!

http://www.astro.uni-bonndot de/~dfischer/mirror/143.html