[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Some Perseid photos

Hello Jim, Bob, Kevin, Gary, and George,

and Hello to ALL,

I'd like to introduce myself.  My name is Bob Verish.  I just subscribed
to meteorobs a few days ago, and I thought I would lurk for a while
before putting my toe in the water, but with all these interesting
threads, and now these images by Robin Casady that Kevin shared with us,
I can no longer hold back.

First, what an awesome image of a Perseid meteor transitioning into an
object in "dark flight"!  Right on the heels of Gary's and Wayne's
explanation of a "bolide" we get visual evidence of fragmentation of a
fireball and a twisting/spiraling remnant in dark flight, reminiscent of
those Pasamonte bolide photos.  Although the fragmentation doesn't look
that "explosive", and even if it occurred too high in the atmosphere to
generate enough sound, I bet that a dark flight body of that size would
eventually cause a sonic boom audible to observers that were close
enough.  I agree with what Jim said about transverse forces.

I see that while I was composing this message, Ron has posted a
decidedly different opinion about this image that I find so special.  I
guess it can't be helped, but I've probably gone and offended somebody
on my very first (introduction) message.  One small toe into the water
for this man, one giant cannonball into the pool of public opinions.`

While I'm on that subject, I just want to say that I am sensitive to
those of you who are offended by the word, "bolide" (and by its usage,
too;-).  Its usage must bother you, like the phrase "meteorites
travelling through the atmosphere" bothers me.  But for now, if you
would accept me as "a geologist with a keen interest in meteorites and
HOW THEY GOT HERE", in time you may understand my need to use the "b"
word.

Wishing I had subscribed much sooner,

I say Good Night Skies to all,
and Good Night Mr. George Zay, where ever you are. . .

Bob Verish

HREF="http://wwwdot carmelcoast.com/media/Robin/Astro/Perseids6.jpg">http://www.c

HREF="http://wwwdot carmelcoast.com/media/Robin/Astro/Perseids6detail.jpg">http:/

HREF="http://wwwdot carmelcoast.com/media/Robin/Astro/Perseids50mm1.4.jpg">http:/