[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteors vs meteorites...

J. Richard Jacobs wrote:

>Hellow all...  I did not mean to start such a debate over "bolides" and
"fireballs."
>However, here we are.  In American astronomy we refer to...

Hello all!  That's the Canadian spelling... ;>

Excuse me, I'm catching up on a lot of email here, and must have missed your
introductory post.  Where are you from?  Are you a professional of some
sort, or just an amateur meteorite chaser?

>The English language maintains a distinction between the two.
>It exists in a vague way in French.  There is no such distinction in
Spanish, German, Russian, Hebrew, Arabic and probably not in Swahili (a
joke, OK?).

Or maybe a linguistics major?  I do find languages fascinating too, but
sometimes that can get off topic...

>My advice to you, Ron, is that if you see a bolide or a fireball that does
>not seem to be moving, just getting brighter, jump in the fastest vehicle
>you have at your disposal and head straight for it.

Interesting suggestion, but you just can't assume that point, bright meteors
generate meteorite falls!  On the other hand, off-roading can be kind of fun...

>Immediately after the impact head for the nearest telephone and call me,
then do
>whatever you want.

Excuse me, but do you study meteorites?  I think if <I> found one, I would
want to make sure it got into the hands of appropriate knowledgable
geologists who would study it to obtain as much scientific knowledge as they
could about it.... and only then would I perhaps see if I could keep a small
portion as a personal memento.

I would not 'pick up the phone and call' someone I didn't know!

- C. Hall
  Ottawa, Canada