[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Canadian Leonids in Cyprus...

Greetings all,

Just catching up on email here.  The following is a note I received today
from several fellow Ottawa meteor observers, who were off to Cyprus for the
Leonids...

I had given them Wayne's email address as a contact, but I guess they
weren't near a computer at the time...

- Cathy Hall
  Ottawa, Canada

*************************************

Dear Wayne Hally,

Cathy Hall asked me to send you a report of our Leonid observations.

A group from the Eastern Mediterranean University (EMU) observed from a site
on the beach at the Roman ruins of Salamis, 8 km north of Gazimagusa
(Famagusta) in the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC).  Canadians
participating were Joseph Dafoe, Les MacDonald and Gwen Hoover from Ottawa.
Observers from EMU included Tareq Ismael (also from the University of
Calgary), Wojciech Forysinski and his son Pieotr, Mehmet Garip, his wife
Nurcan and their two daughters, Gulcan and Aycan.

Early in the observing session, between 23:55 and 00:46 UT a single observer
(Joseph Dafoe) reported 40 meteors per hour.  Conditions at the time were a
limiting mag. of 5.5 at the zenith and haze limiting to 2nd mag at 30
degrees.

Later on, between 01:00 and 01:16, the same observer reported 58 Leonids.
Between 01:16 and 01:45 he recorded 250.  Conditions were the same as above
for this period.

Peak activity at this location was recorded between 01:45 and 02:00, during
which the same observer sighted 150 meteors. At the beginning of this period
thin cloud began to move in over the zenith and by 02:00 UT thin cloud
covered 90 percent of the viewing area.  A limiting mag. of 2 was visible
through the clouds.

Conditions continued to deteriorate.  However 70 meteors were recorded
between 02:04 and 02:14 after which observations ceased.

Our observations were made possible thanks to the generous assistance of
many in the TRNC, including the Office of the President, the EMU and
Professor Tareq Ismael, President of the International Centre for
Contemporary Middle Eastern Studies.

We will forward a more detailed report following our return to Canada.

Best wishes
Les MacDonald
lma@sshrcdot ca <mailto:lma@sshrcdot ca>