[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) NAMN - NASA Geminid Campaign

NAMN - NASA 1999 Geminid Campaign
---------------------------------

Due to the success NAMN enjoyed during our recent Leonid campaign, we have
been asked by NASA to team up with them on the upcoming Geminid meteor
shower. The overwhelming response NASA received from their "Leonids Live"
web project promoting meteor observing will be repeated with a similar site
for the Geminids. The web site, http://www.geminids.com, will attempt
to keep the public informed of what is taking place with frequent
updates. NAMN observers have been asked to provide a large majority of the
observations.

Reaching a maximum on December 14th, Geminids are visible from around
December 7th to 17th and appear to come from the constellation Gemini. With
the favorable moon conditions this year, the campaign will extend from
December 10th to the 17th.

Membership in NAMN is not required to participate. However, observers should
report their observations to meteorobs@charlestondot net as soon as possible as
updates to the web site will be made daily. No special reports are needed,
you may use one or more of the existing forms we have in place to send in
your observations. Reports will also be forwarded to the International
Meteor Organization as usual.

Questions about the campaign, and requests for forms or instructions may be
sent to me at the above address. Observing forms as well as general
information on meteor observing can also be found at the NAMN home page:

          http://web.infoavedot net/~meteorobs

The results of our Geminid campaign will be published in a future issue of
"NAMN Notes" while the uncorrected observing periods will be posted at our
web site.

I encourage everyone to participate with us in this effort to promote not
only science, but meteor science in particular. I look forward to hearing
from you, and wish everyone clear skies this month!

Happy Holidays!

Mark Davis
NAMN Coordinator
MeteorObs@charlestondot net