[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Electrophonic sounds vs. "booms" (was Re: (meteorobs) Bolide booms)

Lew Gramer wrote:

Are they in fact sonic booms, produced by entry of a hypervelocity
>object in the ultrathin atmosphere at 30-80 km altitude? Or are they
instead due
>to the rapid expansion of that column of heated air around the meteor's
path?

>Anyone care to comment? I'm interested to hear myself!

Lew:

    See Meteor Science & Engineering by D.W.R. McKinley, p. 141.  Quote:
"Below about 50 km sounds may be heard, first the sharp crack of the shock
wave created by the supersonic object and then a rumbling sound similar to
thunder as the air fills in the hole that the body literally bores through
the atmosphere."  "These sounds travel at the speed near 330 m/sec; hence
several minutes may elapse between the passage of the meteor and the arrival
of the sound."
    Sounds may also be associated with the terminal burst of a bolide and
these will also arrive delayed.
    Simultaneous sound is another matter and contraversal.  It all depends
on what physisist you talk to.

Ed