[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) More 1999 Leonid MAC experience

I am preparing to post a web site of my personal experiences on the 1999
Leonid MAC mission. I am working on it in conjunction with a talk I am
preparing for the St. Louis Astronomical Society which I give this Friday.

A couple of weeks ago I said I would post my observations once the computer
data had been sorted out. I have that information now, and for those
interested these are my personal counts as we flew over the Mediterranean
Sea from Tel Aviv to the Azores on the night of November 17/18. The times
are Universal Time. Most of my time was spent using a light intensified
camera pointing to the Draco region, but an hour or so after maximum I
switched to a different view, at first using the Japanese HD TV viewing
setup and then moving to other cameras. The field of view from 23:30 to
03:10 was about 20x25 degrees and my limiting magnitude was near 9. I had
noted some of my breaks on a notepad and have tried to place them in the
list below to help explain some lulls in the action.

I am not sure these numbers will really be useful as I do not have the GPS
readings for our ever-changing latitude and longitude. I know some of this
information is available and I am still attempting to get it. By the way,
we took off from Tel Aviv at 23:01 UT on November 17th. Also, beginning at
01:25 there tended to be a lot of whooping and hollering occurring as the
numbers outside continued to rise!

Sincerely,
Gary

Observations for November 17-18, 1999