[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteors & lenses

Tom,
To be honest I've not actually optimised my photography.  The criterea I
used were really cost and sky coverage.  My five 28mm lenses (and a 24mm
overhead) cover the sky above 15 deg elevation.  If you look at the IMO
photography pages, I'm sure you will find notes or references on how to
optimise a system.  One of the most important factors is the magnitude
index.  A low magnitude index will favour wide angle lenses (as for
sporadics or last years Leonids) and a high index (as for this years
Leonids) will favour longer focal lengths.  My 50mm lens gave much the
same results as the 28mm lenses, BUT I grossly overexposed (5 mins at ISO
1600 at f/1.2) no doubt with the resulting loss of the faintest meteors.

The other factor is what your intent is.  For triangulation, a longer
focal length will give better spatial and temporal resolution but at the
expence of reduced sky overlap, whereas for rates alone, choose the focal
length that gives the most meteors.

Cheers, Rob

Robert H. McNaught
rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.au