[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: WILL WE SEE GEM FIREBALLS TONIGHT?

Sorry Bob,

something happened with this non-ASCII-character i used as a symbol for
angular degrees. You're right if you read 10degrees per second  instead of
100/s.

Now three questions to the list (all refered to the geminid fireball below):

1) Its path can be divided into three distinguishable parts:
~ 15 angular degrees as a orange-white +/-0m Object with orange trail
partially seems to be a hollow "tube"
~ 10 angular degrees forming a blue-white ball leaving the visible trail
behind
~ 5 degrees as a blue-white ball with an elliptical shape and an
orange-white halo leaving many orange-red pointlike fragments ("tears" from
its melting surface?). No visible trail or train.

How common is a hollow trail and is this phenomenon correlated with the size
of the meteor? How can such a sharp onset of  the "blue light" be explained
(density of the air, density of the meteoroid, chemical composition etc.)?

2) What happened to the "tears" of such a fireball? The orange-red small
fragments behind the leading body seems to be stopped in the moment of
separation and left behind with no residual speed. Also, the red colour
indicate a low temperature - allows to withstand any further burn out or
desintegration. May those molten "droblets" fall as globular shaped grains
sized
some mm or inches?

The last question for observers in germany:

3) The geminid fireball appeared ~25 degrees above the horizont. If this
object dived into the 30-40km region, one can estimate the distance to
65..85km. I think i've heard two double booms separated by ~10sec approx. 6
min after the event - but this is not confirmed by my co-observer. If so,
the distance of the source was up to 120km in sky and 85km on ground level.
In this case, the zenital brightness was -11m or more. The fireball ends
nearly exact in
N (seen from Georgenhausen), so it stopped possibly over the "Vogelsberg"
area. Is there anyone who can confirm my observation (14.12.1999; 2058UT)?
I'm shure the object was bright enough to lit up the sky with this damned
clouds too.

Clear skies and many fireballs,

Hans Guenter