[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) AKM video observations 12/99

Sirko Molau wrote:

> Observing Times of the German AKM Video Cameras - December 1999
> Since March 1999, a number of video meteor cameras are regularly operated
> by members of the German 'Arbeitskreis Meteore'. The systems work fully
> autonomously with the MetRec meteor detection software.
> Sirko Molau
> 1. Observers
> ============
> Code     Name      Place         Camera        FOV      LM     Time  Meteors
> EVSTE  Evans     L. Thurlow  EMILY (1.4/50)   20 deg  6.0 mag   4.5 h    75
> MOLSI  Molau     Aachen      AVIS (2.0/35)    40 deg  5.0 mag  23.3 h   225
> NITMI  Nitschke  Dresden     VK1 (0.75/50)    20 deg  7.0 mag   3.5 h    33
> RENJU  Rendtel   Marquardt   CARMEN (1.8/28)  28 deg  4.5 mag  15.7 h    40
> SPEUL  Sperberg  Salzwedel   ADAM (0.75/50)   20 deg  7.0 mag   6.2 h    28
> Overall                                                        53.2 h   401

Your reports from your video network are interesting but I have a
question or two.

First,  is my understanding of your metrec software correct in the fact
that is is simply a raw counting device and it provides no other data on
the meteor event other than it happened?  Also, it floats around in my
head that the limiting magnitude detection is somewhere around mag 1 or
so - is this correct?

If my assumption is correct, what is the justification for such under
utilization of such expensive and complex hardware?

What is the value in a raw count without the meteors tied to a specific
shower or region of the sky?

Have you considered two station observing so that orbits may be
calculated?

-Cary

Follow-Ups: References: