[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Tropical LMs? (was Re: (meteorobs) Re: Zodiacal light)

Lew Gramer wrote:

> In the case of the summit sites (and Hale Pohaku also), Mike, you're not
> only getting the benefit (somewhat arguable, as we discussed) of less air:
> there's also often an inversion layer between you and the sources of Light
> Pollution at sea level, isn't there? In effect, your GROUND is cloudy! :>>>

Yes, thats a good point! The clouds below you act as some sort of
"screen" keeping the light away. The effect is more prominent on Maui,
than on the Big Island, because of more and nearer sources of light
pollution. However, I feel the effect is not as big as is commonly
believed. I dont notice a whole heck of a lot of difference in the
"light dome" to the west of Haleakala, under clear conditions or heavy
low clouds. I think the light tends to penetrate through the clouds, and
actually create a larger more diffuse source (and 5000' closer to the
summit as well) as compared to the direct light from sea level during
clear periods, so the net result is pretty much the same.

However, I have not done any measurements to validate this theory, its
just my feeling based on many observing sessions.

Mike.