[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fireball Pre-report NE PA

Hello List,

From Broadheadsville, PA (vic. intersection of PA 115 and US209) I saw a
moderately bright meteor  Feb. 7th 8:28 ±2 min moving SW-NNE.  extinction under
the handle of the Big Dipper.  I went tonight to collect azimuth and elevation
data after talking to a gentleman in Allentown (30 miles south Southwest) who
said  that he saw one along the same course as well.  Only he could not
establish the time for certain but thought this was shortly after 8pm. If Henry
Anderson's time is correct it  sounds as if we may have had two spectacular ones
on or near the same track last night.  The other local observer may have seen
either of those. I'll submit a fireball report when I have all my data sorted
tonight. ( Lew or Mark do you have the fireball link handy?)

Being in town under streetlights, it was difficult to establish magnitude, but
the meteor was brighter than any planet, without any train, shimmer, trail, or
wake --and clearly spherical.  Observed for about 3.5 seconds when it appeared
in my upper windshield and transited to my left driverside window(approx. 40° to
perhaps 20-15° at extinction-- Exact azimuth and elevation being calculated.)

Henry can you tell us more as to which way you were facing, where you were
standing in town, & etc.?

Regards,
Elton Jones

75.4779564W