[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Possible Meteorite Strike, Marion NY / Eta Aquariids

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart Saunders" <stuart@ficnetdot net>
To: <meteorobs@jovian.com>
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2000 7:20 AM
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Possible Meteorite Strike, Marion NY / Eta
Aquariids

> Hey Joe!
> If this guy's really a meteorologist, shouldn't he be telling, not asking?

Most TV meteorologists are not formally trained in meteorology. They are
basically "performers" who have picked up enough weather knowledge to wing
it while on the air. That said, I suppose he would be telling while
broadcasting but asking while off the air.

> Seriously though.
>
>     Re the 'meteorite', I presume one end of the magnet is attracted and
> one end repelled
> (to the same part of the 'rock'), or is it something else?
>     That would be very interesting.

Bad presumption, Stuart. Ordinary ferromagnetic materials (containing iron,
cobalt, and nickel) are strongly attracted to both ends of a permanent
magnet. It's easy to demonstrate with paper clips and any bar or horseshoe
magnet. But diamagnetic materials (e.g., bismuth, silver) are weakly
repelled by both ends of the magnet. It can be satisfactorily explained only
by delving into quantum mechanics, I'm afraid.

Paul