[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Those Electric Blue Meteors

I got a photo (& so did R. Lunsford), you can see it at

http://www.comet-track.com/meteor/geminids99/geminids99.html

I noticed that Leonids have a characteristic hue: starts out green, then
turns red.  That "electric blue" Geminid is not like that.  I want to
understand the detailed physics of this color hueing.  Can someone point
me to a URL, which describes this?  There was a post a while back,
quoting Dr. George Carruthers/NRL.

Dave English wrote:

> Bob Lunsford and I were treated to a great electric blue meteor on the night
> of 13/14 Dec. '99, but we were 90 or so miles apart, he was at Joshua
> Tree National Monoument and I was just taking the dog for a walk at home.
> I reported it as a -6 so as not to over do it, and waited to see if others like
> Bob had seen it and could give a more experianced call on the magnitude.
> Bob saw it as a -9, which was very close to the -8 or so I had wanted to
> post, but what a trteat it was! I was close to being right under the start
> point, about 10 dgrees NW of my zenith, so I saw the color very clearly.
> The head was oval, much larger than the width of the train by three to four
> times, and parts of the hear appeared clear. Too bad I didn't see it with
> binoculars or could have had a photo of it, the structure of the head would
> have been seen and studied, but without magnification or a photo/video,
> only an impression of structure was seen. The size and color of this
> electric blue Geminid makes it one of the best and most memorable meteors
> I've seen in nearly four years of watching the skies.
>
>                                               Dave English
>                                               Oceanside, California

Follow-Ups: References: