[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Recording meteors while fatigued

This has been a very interesting subject with many useful comments.
Everything I was to say was pretty much covered by Rainer and Jure. I
feel the new meteor observer will have more trouble with flashes. When I
started out I would notice many of these flashes at the edge of my view.
Most of them occurred near bright stars and planets and were therefore
dismissed and not recorded. Soon these became much less troublesome and
today I rarely encounter them. Perhaps I became use to them or my
peripheral vision took a turn for the worse and cannot detect these any
more!

As Rainer pointed out observing with a partner can be a revelation. It
was surprising to me on how many of those faint, short, swift flicks of
light were really meteors verified by a partner. This has helped
tremendously now that I watch alone a great majority of the time. My old
observing partner also had a perverse sense of humor testing me on many
occasions asking if I had seen a meteor in a particular part of the sky
when in actuality he had seen nothing. I guess he was trying to see if I
was faking my meteors as he was unable to verify many of the meteors I
was seeing.

The suggestions given by everyone are helpful in determining which
events are real and which are not. I would add that plain old experience
plus the experience of observing with a partner makes this decision
easier to achieve.

Clear Skies!

Bob