[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids: pregenitor of the Secondary peak of 1999?

    Below is an e-mail that I received from David Asher regarding what might
meteoric material might have spawned the secondary peak of the 1999 Leonids
(over the far East).  As some of you might recall, I suggested some days ago
that it "perhaps" might have been caused by the 1866 trail which we are due
to interact with during the next few years.  I was hoping that David would be
able to get Vacheslav Emil'yaneko to consult his files and find out what he
based his prediction for a secondary outburst last year. Unfortunately, as
you can see below, it looks like the answer will remain unresolved for a
while longer.

-- joe rao

Hi Joe

Hope your talk at the Connecticut Star Party went well.  Regarding the
secondary peak in 1999, I'm afraid Vacheslav's student can't find the results
relating to whatever old trail it was.  I've made an attempt to find the
solution myself but haven't been able to come up with anything obvious; it
may be because I haven't been using a fine enough resolution in the orbits of
the sets of particles I've been integrating and so I've simply missed the
correct solution.  Unfortunately I don't have time to get seriously into it
in the immediate future; so it will have to remain an open question for the
time being.

Best wishes

David