[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteor shower prediction

Robert, Rob McNaught has done an incomparable job of answering your questions
about the dynamics of meteoroid streams... I couldn't presume to add a thing
to that. However, you also asked about a book, the beautifully written and
authoritative "Meteor Science and Engineering", D. W. R. McKinley, New York:
McGraw-Hill Book Co., 1961.

This book is indeed worth going to extremes to get a copy of - it is a BIBLE.
And along with a few other books, e.g., by Oepik, Whipple, and others, it is
the best (albeit well-dated) source I know for learning about the physics of
meteors and the technology of meteor observation. (It's particularly focused
on radio methods, but most of the material is really of broader interest.)

I was fortunate enough to obtain a copy in a local used-book store. (Being in
the Boston area has few advantages for amateur astronomers! But easy access to
obscure books is one.) However, you can always try book services specializing
in astronomical books - for example, do a Web search for "Knollwood Books".

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer

Follow-Ups: References: