[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Late Ursid?

    Robert,  you would need to calculate the radiant drift for the Ursids to
determine
where they were last night while you observed.  My IMO 2000 Meteor Calendar
doesn't give the drift per day.  Regardless of its appearance or location,
however,
a single meteor can rarely if ever establish anything about it's origins,
except,
perhaps, that it *wasn't* from shower A or B..  Reports of early Perseids,
late
Leonids (and Ursids!) etc, based on single-meteor sightings are essentially
meaningless
even when they correlate well with radiant drift.  There is simply no way to
rule out
sporadic interference.  But you may still wish to find out what the radiant
position
for last night was, for your own benefit/satisfaction!

Kim Youmans