[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) benefits

Something that has not been mentioned in this whole thread that leads some to
believe a warm drink on a cold day is not good for you is this:
When treating people with hypothermia the last thing you want to do is give the
victim a warm drink because the core temperature will be warmed , which signals
the body to allow more blood circulation to the extremities. This allows the
cold blood from the extremities to reach to core thus reducing the core
temperature to a dangerously low level.

I have experienced a very mild form of this on several occasions where I have
gotten overly cold, ....drink a cup of coffee and start to shiver. Not a great
thing to do.

That being said, I don't think this discussion will convince me to drink iced
tea when I am out observing when it's -30° outside. Just drink it before your
extremities get cold. Besides after 2 or 3 hours at those temperatures anything
in a your thermos  would probably be close to an icy state anyhow.

I'll stick to my hot thick soup, thank you.

Larry Wood

I think the only real benefit from the hot bev. is thermal. Since the energy is
conducted from the stomach outward - temperatures should be elevated several
degrees in the body core. The liquid being some 25 degrees F higher than the
core -  its primary impact would be on the immediate 20kg mass of the core.
This would be dissipated to other portions of the body core more distant and
also the to blood stream. However, as temperatures returns to 98.6 - it is the
'memory' of the higher temp. that brings on a 'feeling' of cold. I believe this
emotional or psychological impact spurs some of the comments about 'cooling'
the body.