[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Question about LM (Newbie to meteor reporting)

Dustin Brown asked:

>Should an observer use averted vision when counting the dimmer stars?

I do count the stars I see with averted vision, but I do not expend a great
deal of effort concentrating on a spot in hopes of pulling in one more
star. When making a LM estimate, I tend to "match" the same amount of
concentration or attention to the LM estimate as I do to the sky during the
watch. If you use more than one area for each estimate, and average them,
it will improve your estimate. I try to use three areas each time if
possible, two at a minimum.

Mark Davis

Follow-Ups: References: