[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) RE: Meteors vs. meteorites

Hi Lew and list,

> Folks, I'm never one to squelch interesting threads on 'meteorobs'. But we
> are generally all here to learn more about and discuss METEOR
> OBSERVING.

10-4.  Being new, I wasn't sure how off-topic Dave English's
original post was last week.  Evidently too far, or at
least the discussion that followed overstepped the bounds
of topicality.  Apologies for cluttering.

To be honest, my original interest in joining this list was
in the hopes of exchanging timely information about bright
fireballs with the hope of triangulating observations and
possibly locating new falls.  I had two observations of a
probable -8 to -10 bolide that reentered over southern
California on January 30th around 18:22 PST.  This allowed
a coarse estimate of the reentry location (Falbrook, Pala,
Escondido, or thereabouts).  Despite clear skies and the
evening commute timing, I was flabbergasted by the complete
lack of published accounts in a metro area of over 5
million people.  I thought surely some mention would be
made of the event here, but nada.  I'm getting the
impression that meteors beyond a certain brightness are
off-topic for this forum.

If someone could steer me toward a more appropriate mailing
list, I'd be grateful.  I've tried FIDAC, but as near as I
can tell I'm about the only one that uses it.

> You can find a list of meteorite lists at the following URL:
>  http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs/links.html#meteorites

Not at my office, apparently.  Firewall restriction attempting
any connection to www.tiacdot net.

Cheers,
Rob