[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) memorable meteors

The three most impressive "meteor" events I have seen are:

1.  As a teenager walking along an irrigation canal in Idaho in the early 70s.
The sun had just set and the sky was getting that dusky blue in the east.  The
time of summer night when the bats have just come out and you can see them in
the dusk light.   My friend Bruce Norton and I saw a bright fireball start out
near overhead and head towards the SE horizon.   At about 20 degrees from the
horizon the fireball broke into 2 or 3 pieces which continued down.  I don't
recall if the pieces extinguished near or disappeared behind  the horizon.

2.  In the late 70s waiting outside for my wife to get off swing shift in
Idaho.  A bright colorful fireball appeared with a variety of colors.    The
changing colors suggested various metals and sure enough the following day the
newspaper reported it as a Russian satellite that had burnt up on re-entry.

3.   At Celilo Oregon,  the 1999 Leonids,  the "Famous Five" several fireballs
with in seconds of each other, that Wes Stone just mentioned in his  E-mail.
The ground lit up with shadows with the -12 fireball when several other followed
in the same area of the sky.   I hadn't recovered from the -12 to have my wits
about me to accurately describe the others.   It looked as if a giant cat (or
lion  ;-)  had scratched claw marks in the sky SE to NE.    (Now I'm hooked)

Hey Wes,  if you get that photo print of the "Famous Five"  would you let me
know?  I'd love to see it.   (You could E-mail me a scanned image or give a copy
to Steve Mauvais at a RCA meeting)
Thanks in advance,
Dustin Brown
brodwcjj@integrityonline.com

Meteorrr@cs.com wrote:
I've noticed that the mail has been kind of slow ................