[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Leonid conditions

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Crawford" <chriscrawford@wavedot net>

> To me, weather considerations dominate. If I'm going to all the expense
and
> trouble of going somewhere to see the Leonids, I don't want to end up
> watching clouds and cursing.

The same here, but in our case we 'mitigate' risks by also adding a holliday
element. I am going to Arizona and not China this year amongst others
because I already have been to China (1998 Leonids) but never to the US
before (*). So if we do get clouded out, we at least will have a nice
hollidays sightseeing around Arizona and Colorado making it worth the money
investment. Trips outside Europe for the Leonids are expensive for us so we
try to get somewhere where a) chances of clear weather are large; b) chances
of getting an observing network off the ground (politically/logistically)
are realistic; and c) the destination has something else but meteors to
offer which makes the destination worthwhile anyway. Ideally, all 3 demands
have to be fulfilled. They were in China in 1998 and will be in Arizona next
November.

- Marco Langbroek

(* another reason is that  the 1998 campaign in Qinghai, Northwest China was
great with regard to the wonderful country, the cooperation with the Chinese
and meteors seen: but the -22 Celsius temperatures were a bit on  the edge
for us. At least Arizona is a bit warmer in November...)

Follow-Ups: References: