[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Florida 2001 Perseid max unimpressive

Preliminary Perseid rates 2001 Aug 11/12, 226 - 526 EDT, Perseids 19-25-16.
Below expectations and hopes.  The last hour was headed for a dismal 10
except for a quick boost right at the end.  No fireballs either -- best  I
did was a couple of  -3m's.  Sky was as good as possible with the moon up.
It was LM 6.0 to 326, then 5.5 thereafter.  Lots of long blank periods.
There were several quick pairs but none simultaneous.   It was a nice little
show with a number of bright colorful Perseids, but there's no way I would
have seen 68/hr in a dark sky this year.

Maybe next year I can catch the upswing to the peak coming over Hawaii, as
in 1974 and 1978.  Otherwise, onward to the next peak here in 2005.

Joan came along and saw 43 meteors total in 3:32 hours.  But the bugs were
fierce.  Two mosquito coils kept 2/3 of them away but there was plenty left
over to bother us.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor