[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) post peak perseids (astronomical aliteration)

...I managed to squeeze two hours of perseid observing
outta my tired old self on the 12/13th, here in the
Sierra Nevada Mts. Our guests, from London, England,
joined me a while...

Briefly,
I observed for two hours, beginning at 1:59 local
time, 8:59 UT.

Perseids started out faint, but brightened a bit,
continued steadily until about 3:30 (10:30UT) when
they slowed dramatically. The slower rate did nothing
for my somnolence.

I saw 30 Perseids during the first hour, 26 the
second. Avg Mag for the first hour was a still bright
+0.90, dimming to +1.19 the second hour.

Brightest was a -4.0 Perseid that displayed a 15
second train.

Train-wise, 9 Perseids displayed trains of about 2
seconds duration, four at 3 seconds, 1 at 5 seconds, 1
at 10 seconds and the 15 second one...

50% of the Perseids were white, 45% yellow, 4% blue
and 1% orange.

Interestingly, we, my wife and our guests and I, stood
out on our porch from about 9:30 to 10:00 local time
(4:30UT to 5:00ut, the 13th) on Sunday evening the
(the 12th), and caught about 10 long swift Perseids,
all faint, the brightest being only mag +3.0. I was
very surprised by the activity. We were gawking with
appreciation at Mars and the billowy clouds of Milky
Way. The Perseids were a bonus...

=====
Gregg, Innkeeper at Always Inn B and B, Soda Springs, CA
 Suite101 Contributing Editor - http://www.suite101.com
 my website, cobwebbed? http://pages.prodigy.com/daddy
- 30,000 visitors as of July 20, 2001!