[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) coeff.

Tom:

I would urge caution with very dim meteors.  I may have posted
this last year.  I have noticed some "meteors" which are some-
what diffuse and I always suspected that they were floaters.

There is another category of very fast, short dim (5, 6m) "meteors"
which I noticed, several per hour, all over the field.

I work at a planetarium and don't ask me what the hell I was
doing but one day after my eyes had been dark adapted I sat
down under a "dark sky", with the meteor projector turned off
tried a "meteor" count.  It was successful!

I noticed both types of the above.  The diffuse floaters I
confirmed when I noticed one seemed reddish, and that over
in that direction was the red lighted Exit sign.  I turned that
and the stars off and didn't see any.  I concluded that I was
seeing reflections of starlight or other light in floaters.

But, the second category of very dim, fast 5-6 mag images
can be seen by me with all lights off sitting in a completely
dark room.  When I move my head quickly or stand up or
sit down, I can sometimes cause one of these.

I try to ignore these or meteors which are very dim, now.

Bob Young
State Museum of Pennsylvania Planetarium