[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Observation report Aug 11/12

Perseids in South Carolina. Forgive my informal report. This is the way that
I observe

Cloudy when I arrived around 2300 local time at the site. Northern Piedmont
area of South Carolina, USA.

Over the next two hours, the skies began to show some holes in the clouds.
Promising enough to stay put and hope!

Around 0200 local time 8/13, the skies began to clear, and I have about 50%
of the sky fairly open. The moon to the east was often obscured in clouds,
giving the sky a slight bit more contrast and brightness.  Approximately
0300 EST (0700 UT), the Perseids cut lose.

For about one hour, perhaps one and one-half hours, I observed approximately
40 Perseid an hour. Several were very bright, with yellowish trails that
lingered in the sky for a few moments.  Not as long as in past years, with
darker and clear skies, but lingering while fading.  Many very quick
Perseids.  I did not even bother with LM this night.  Too unreliable. So,
difficult to estimate Magnitude of these meteors. Of course, I saw only the
brightest meteors.  Aren't these beautiful?  Isn't this why many of do
this??

Around 4:30 local time (0830 UT), the shower seemed to stop. Only a few from
there on out, until dawn.

Certainly not the best.  Certainly not the worst that I have observed in my
15 years of watching this event. Oh, to be back in Texas in August!

Chuck Urrey