[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Unusual Leonid rates during the 'off' years?

The Leonids of 1983 were memorable to me, not for rates, but for the
brilliance of the meteors.  In 2 hours 326 - 526 EST I saw 19 Leonids with a
yellow  -5m and 30-second train, a yellow  -3m and 4-second train, a
blue-green  -2m and 2-second train, and four yellow  -1m's with trains
2-3-2-5 seconds.  It was a very yellow year.  Sky LM was 7.3 the second
hour; the moon set early in the first hour.

The only standout year that I saw for Leonid rates was 1974.  The last hour
528 - 628 EDT had 40 Leonids with a full range of magnitudes up to  -6m.

All other off years were around 10/hr tops and mostly fainter Leonids.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society