[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Mountain Lions/Descanso, Calif.

Just a note of interest and warning for those who observe in the Descanso,California area.  I mentioned a couple years ago about a mountain lion being killed on the property of where my observatory use to be. That was after it killed one of my father in laws sheep. Well...another lion did the same thing last night at the exact same spot...give or take about 10 feet. Anyhow, my inlaws notifed the fish and game and again they set a trap out for it. This morning it was caught and killed. But that area is mountain lion central. So...if you observe out in the Southern California moutainious region, it would be good advise to observe with someone. Also take along a few precautions...perhaps a loud blowing whistle and a sturdy swinging stick. This is assuming you see it before it tries to eat you. Sometimes a whistle will scare it away. I do know an old lady who had a lion jumped unto the trail she was on. It was only a few feet in front ot her. It stared at her motionless. She blew her whistle and nothing happened. She said "Shooo" and nothing happened. She then swung her walking stick like a major leaguer and hit it in the head. It then took off. Most folks who get eaten up are alone. So there is safety in numbers.
George Zay