[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) definition of terms

Joe Assmus:
>    Ive been using for some time the following 2 terms that I learned
> formally from Bob L:
>
> 1)  Wake - the short-lived (approx < 1 sec) trail/tail of a meteor
>
> 2)  Persistant Train - the longer lived (approx > 1 sec)glow/trail of a
> meteor

1) and 2) are still part of the set called trains.  It's just a further
subdivision based on duration.  A train is not a trail.  Perhaps the
misuse has arisen from vapour trails of aircraft.  As "trail" ambiguous,
"path" is preferred.

The IMO Glossary could be augmented.

There are other meteor glossaries, but most don't even mention train.
Here are two that do.  The TA one even has wake.

  http://www.theastronomer.org/meteor_glossary.html

  http://comets.amsmeteors.org/glossary.html

Malcolm Currie

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html