[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Orionids from Central PA

--- "Malcolm J. Currie" <mjc@jach.hawaiidot edu> wrote:

> There were certainly fireballs about.  Only seeing
> the flash is normal
> for me during telescopic observations.  Last night
> (Oct 21) a double
> flash alert me to stop peering through the 'scope
> and look up to see a
> 24-degree train distorting, especially at the
> radiant end, with an
> intense core near the end of the path, at what must
> have been the
> terminal explosion.  The bulk of the train
> disappeared after about 30
> seconds, but the core lasted for 7 minutes, slowly
> diffusing as it
> drifted north at about two degrees per minute.  The
> intensity of
> the flash suggested a peak brightness around
> -11/-12.
>
> I hope Mike Linnolt was able to see the meteor
> itself.

That sounds like a repeat of the monster one I saw from Maui in Feb. 2000! Unfortunately, I was not out observing the Orionids this weekend due to other commitments. But I definitely plan to go up high to catch the Leonids...

Mike Linnolt

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html