[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) unexpected bursts

On Thu, 08 November 2001, "Tom Fleming" wrote:

> I don't recall any discussion about activity on the
> morning of the 17th. Thatould be the date that corresponds to the famous burst
> of 1998. I presume any possibility would have been discussed already or can this
> type of leonid particle be predicted?

Reading the explanation of the 1998 fireball burst, it's pretty clear that there will not be a repeat performance this year.  However, note that the nodal passage (closest approach of Earth to the comet's orbit) occurs on November 17 at 13h UT (5am PST).  This might be a likely time for increased background activity to occur (20<ZHR<100?).

--
Wes Stone
Chiloquin, OR

http://www.shopping.altavista.com