[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids fever

----- Original Message -----
From: Mark S. <marksl@uswestdot net>
To: <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 1:20 AM
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Leonids fever

> Ed,
>
> Where to in AZ? In Tucson now, it's very clear even though it's officially
> "partly cloudy". I can only hope for the best.
>
> I tested my camera, it does 6.3 mag on tape, about 13 degree FOV. I am
> wondering, should I put it near the radiant, or someplace else? I can see
> from Regulus to Aldhafera.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Mark:
    Meteors are more concentrated or closer together near the radiant.  With
your 13 degree field of view this is probably a good choice.  I generally do
that with my video spectrograph which covers around 25 degrees.  Further
from the radiant the trails will be longer but more separated.  I would
probably aim the camera toward the radiant at about 60 degrees in elevation
so you are looking at a thick portion of the atmosphere.
Your choice however.  You can always use a monitor to see what you are
recording.
    We are hoping for some clear breaks here.  We have had a lot of rain
recently so I hope that ground fog doesn't roll in.  The forecast for my
site on Vancouver Island is for scattered clouds.  If this is the case I
will only set up my video system.  If it's clear I also hope to use my film
spectrographs.

Good luck and clear skies:

Ed Majden

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html