[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Leonids fever

At least three people here of whom I'm aware are booked to
Phoenix Saturday afternoon.  I'm concerned about the AZ
weather and don't yet know if I'll really go through with
it.  (Later -- But just now saw Joseph Assmus's message
about southern Calif. and am feeling a little better.)
I'm not sure where we will end up; it may be a decision
made after arriving in Phoenix.

For those who may be interested, there's a Web page with
descriptions of twelve Arizona observing sites, including
a topo map, site descriptions and directions.  Note that
the information appears to be four years old:

http://www.psiaz.com/polakis/azsites/azsites.html

Several Arizona astronomy clubs have web sites that can be
found via Google.  No doubt also New Mexico, southern
California, Nevada, etc.

Is it true what I've heard about Tucson, AZ, not being as
awful as some other cities with respect to city glow?

Anyone going as a stranger to someone else's observing
site should take care regarding lights!  I'm worried about
that as I don't see any way to get to a site before full
astronomical darkness has already arrived.  But maybe
people will be a  little forgiving in this case -- I hope!
-- since it's a special situation and the main event isn't
until at least after midnight.

Also, I guess anyone going to the desert or mountains
anywhere (China, Australia, Arizona, etc.) needs to be
careful about the potentially harsh environment!

Clear, dark skies and safe travels to all--

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA
http://wwwvms.utexasdot edu/~ecannon/meteorlinks.html

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html