[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Long/short period comets and streams (was Re: WM1 shower?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cooke, Bill" <Bill.Cooke@msfc.nasadot gov>

> Marco,
>
> Could you please cite references other than the Jenniskens
> paper? All other sources give alpha Aurigid outburst rates
> lower than the ones you quote (see, for example, Zay, George
> & Lunsford, Robert (1994): On a Possible Outburst of the 1994
> alpha-Aurigids, WGN, Journal of the IMO, 22, 224-226).

etc. etc.

This seems to turn into a heated debate so I am not going to answer this on
meteorobs but will reply in private to Dr. Cooke instead.

All I want to say is that I think there are misunderstandings. There was no
model with disputable corrections applied for either the 1986 or 1994
Aurigids by Peter, and his estimates for some 1935 parameters appear to be
reasonable. He applied normal corrections for radiant altitude (very low in
1994!), limiting magnitude, and observer perception. Those are the same
corrections we always employ in our visual reductions. I have worked closely
together with Peter Jenniskens and in general hold high regards for his
analytical skills.

I have done some reduction of George Zay's 1994 Aurigid data myself and get
rates at 124/hr at least, although admittedly with high error margins
(+/-50), but the results shows that Peter's results for 1994 appear to be
not that bizarre. And those were not the peak rates of that outburst
actually, beacuse Zay and Lunsford missed the true peak moment and only
observed the descending branch of activity.

Marco  Langbroek

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html