[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Geminid origin

In a message dated 12/21/01 6:55:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
marco.langbroek@wanadoodot nl writes:

<< Yep, it does. Asteroid 3200 Phaeton. >>

Phaeton on an inclined, eliptical orbit actually heading toward the inner
solar system now. Its crosses *above* the Earth's orbit on 13 March 2002 and
crosses the plane to the solar system 5 days later a third the distance
between Earth and Venus. So I would guess that we are safe for the forseeable
future. Jupiter has no influence on it as it just barely reaches out beyond
Mars.
Look at: <A
HREF="http://neo.jpl.nasadot gov/cgi-bin/db?name=3200&group=all&search=Search">
http://neo.jpl.nasadot gov/cgi-bin/db?name=3200&group=all&search=Search</A>