[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Strange Quadrantid Night, Report Hopefully To Come

I have experienced the exact same thing with west-bound flights coming out of Savannah.  Hanging low in the sky, the very bright though seemingly stationary forward lights would gradually intensify in brightness to about -2 or even brighter before blinking out when a sufficient angle was reached.   Had I not been aware of the geography, it would not have been easy to identify the lights as aircraft as no sounds were heard and direct visual identification of the plane wasn't possible.

Kim Youmans

GeoZay@aol.com wrote:

>>noteworthy dealt with a bright (0-1mag.), reddish,
> starlike object that was sighted underneath the Big
> Dipper, very low in the sky.  I know it wasn't just a
> plane, satellite, or the like, as it remained
> stationary and steady in brightness.  Also, I did not
> notice it later in my session, although I do not know
> if it just disappeared or became covered by thick
> haze. Can anybody ferret out an explanation for this
> event?<<

There's a very good possibility that it was a plane. The key description would be that it was very low in the sky. This would indicate a rather far distance from you.  I've seen airliners approaching San Diego airport from the north that seemed to just hang there for a few minutes. All the while it was coming roughly towards me. Any apparent movement would be very difficult to notice after 3 to 6 minutes. I once seen about 30 minutes after sunset, a very short streak (about 1/5 degree long) low on the horizon, that hung there for 7 minutes. It was quite puzzling. I didn't know what it was until I got out my 14X100 binoculars. It was the sunlit contrail of a high altitude airliner traveling away from me. it was obviously very far away, to appear that low in the sky.
GeoZay