[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Call for Observations for delta Cancrids

Lew responding to Huan:
> >Also, we would like to ask more observers to keep an eye out for this
> >meteor shower. Visual plotting, video and photographic observations can
> >all be used to determine the coordinate of the radiant...
>
> Do not forget the highly accurate (and low-technology) possibility of
> doing Telescopic Meteor Plotting as well, Huan!

Indeed not.

If the telescopic radiant is as diffuse as the visual one, you'd lose
some of the advantage of telescopic observing.  The RADIANT
distribution I saw some years ago indicated that the radiant was
large.  It's close to the Antihelion too.  It's conceivable that there
might be substructure, i.e. the broad radiant comprises several more
compact ones or compact radiants superimposed on a diffuse activity
region.  Given the fluxes that's going to take more than one year's
observing.  If we can pool sufficient positional data from video and
visual and telescopic plotting over several years we might have a
chance.  Is anyone pooling such multi-technique data in POSDAT format?

The high population index certainly helps telescopic observations
too, and probably makes normal photography less appealing.

I'd diverge slightly from Lew's list of suggested charts.  157 and 81
are roughly on diametrically opposite sides of the radiant.  So I'd go
for 144 (near beta CMi so also easy to find) instead of 157.  They
should be fine during the new-moon period.  All but 81 are already
scanned as PDFs and accessible from my anonymous-ftp site.

   ftp://ftp.jach.hawaiidot edu/pub/ukirt/mjc/charts

I can scan 81 for chart sets A, B, and D tomorrow.

During mid-January telescopic observers have noted more activity from
the ecliptic at around 140, +17, and I speculated that this might be
early alpha-Leonid activity (cf.
http://comets.amsmeteors.org/meteors/showers/alpha_leonids.html).

Malcolm Currie