[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) s& t coverage of leonids

In a message dated 2/4/02 4:26:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, KCStarguy@aol.com
writes:

<< The coverage was not what I expected.Nice pictures of which I thought the
nicest was Espenak's wide angle and the smoke ring picture. But the coverage
was on the paltry side while the coverage of the june 2001 eclipse was
absolutely putrid. They once did a great job with eclipse coverage like 1979,
1973,  1972. I just don't know why they don't put more time into extensive
well observed events that don't come around too ofte. >>

I may be just guessing but I think they are held hostage by the people that
send stories to them. I know I hear from a lot of magazines dedicated to the
"hobbyist" that only have the submissions of their readers to print.  I don't
think they have correspondants that go out to cover these events, but rely on
someone going to these things and then sitting downing and writing about
their experiences.  For example how many of us sat down and wrote about the
2002 Leonids and sent it to them? I know I didn't...    just my 2 cents.

KK
~~~~~~~~