[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) August 13, 2002 Meteor Observations from California

Anybody see the spectacular (at least mag -5.0) PER at 08:57:40 UT 13
August? At my site in Southern Indiana, just southwest of Louisville, KY it
was to the southwest. It was behind me and bright enough to cast a shadow. I
was looking north at the time but turned to see an 8 second persistant train
just west of Aquila.

Very poor conditions here on Monday night. Scattered cirrus and a lot of
moisture and dust in the air. LM to the northeast probably 2.5. It was
difficult to discern Perseus below Cassiopeia. LM was, perhaps 4.0 to the
west and south. Too bad the Perseid peak wasn't last week when my LM was
about 5.5 to the west and south!

Nice little burst of about 12 PER and 1 SPO between 0843 and 0934 UT then
twilight began. Interestingly, the SPO may be the only meteor I caught on
film (I hope!). I had two 35mm cameras going in spite of the very bright
sky.

I'll put together a more complete report later. Unfortunately this is a very
busy week at work for me, so I'm running on about 2 hours sleep!

Regards,

Mark S. Williams
Elizabeth, IN