[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Electrophonics

>     Until instrumental hard evidence exists many physisists will remain
> sceptical.  If you want to read more about this, do a search with "google"
> for "meteor sounds".  Colin Keay from the University of Newcastle in NSW
> Australia has been studying this for years.

    In a related phenomenon, in my position as a volunteer at the Public
Observatory of Odyssium (formerly Edmonton Space & Science Centre), over the
past 15 years I have received many, many anecdotal reports of people
"hearing" the aurora borealis.  Far too many (likely over 100 over the
years) credible reports to dismiss out of hand.  Some common themes are
otherwise extremely silent conditions, often in or near a wooded area  (I
never thought to ask about glasses!).   The reported sound is always a
swishing white noise effect, somebody said like shaking static out of the
laundry. Many of the people who have reported this live north of Edmonton,
which almost by definition means an isolated area, relatively near the north
magnetic pole.  Meanwhile, aurora scientists I have met say all attempts to
record this sound have been fruitless, and while sceptical, they lean
towards some sort of inner ear electrophonic effect to explain the reports.

    I too have "heard" the aurora, particularly at our astronomy club's
observing site outside the city.   However the sounds I associate with
aurora come from other astronomers within earshot: "@#$%** aurora!  There
goes another @#$%*  observing session!!"   :)   regards, Bruce

Follow-Ups: References: