[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) "Electrophonic" Fireball sound nonsense

Well, I believe the 0.003uW/cm^2 RF background includes all frequencies. Certainly, there are many powerful VLF transmitters around the world. I see about 60 of them listed below 30khz in one list, and WWVB the NIST time standard broadcasts 50Kw on 60khz, which creates a strong enough field by itself to allow "atomic" wristwatches to sync up all over the continental US using just the wristband as an antenna. In fact, I suspect residents in Fort Collins, CO would be exposed to greater VLF fields than even a "beamed" field from a meteor plasma, as Keay proposes. But, I havent heard of reports of strange electrophonics from that city, or anywhere else near one of these powerful VLF sources. I don't think the plasma instabilities in a meteor wake would be sufficient to produce ERP's of gigawatts, which would be necessary (at 60km) to match the strong local VLF ambients in many areas.