[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteors and meteorology - some more about meteorology

----- Original Message -----
From: Rob McNaught <rmn@aaocbn.aaodot gov.AU>
To: <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Sent: Friday, September 20, 2002 1:07 AM
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Meteors and meteorology - some more about
meteorology

> On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 mvallois@hotlink.com.br wrote:
>
> >Meteors and meteorology, both have the same prefix. Prefix means an
> >element that is added to the beginning of the word. What comes next
> >is what makes the difference and the amount of the words that we have
> >in a language. For example: METEOR and METEORology have good and
different
> >meanings. Meteor is an phenomenon that comes from the cosmos, atmosphere
> >in the general understanding; and meteorology is the study of all
> >phenomena that comes from the atmosphere.
>
> I'm not sure I understand you correctly here, but what Ed said was
correct.
> A meteor or shooting star was previously believed to be a weather
phenomenon
> and a raindrop was a hydrometeor.  That meteors are now known to be caused
> by particles from beyond the atmosphere isn't relevant either, as the
> particles in space are defined as *meteoroids* (in a sense, particles
> capable of producing meteors in an atmosphere).  Thus, meteors in the
> original or modern definitions are intricately related to the atmosphere.
>
> The archive and Web site for our list is at http://www.meteorobs.org
> To stop getting all email from the 'meteorobs' lists, use our Webform:

Hello Rob and Ed:

What I ntended to do was just to relate both words giving emphasis to their
prefixes. METEOR and METEORology = "study of the meteorological phenomena".
So, the meaning by itself in both words is what makes the difference. And,
of course, there are different meanings for both words.

Bill question was very convinient and appropriated for the list, I myself
tried to take a look at the Dictionary. They are very likely. So, my opinion
above is NOT against yours. You were direct and technical in details.Good
job!

Although, Meteors are from particles from cosmos that are seen due - on the
most - to the sun light. What we see from the Earth, but now  in the
*atmosphere* can be meteors, earthgrazers, falling stars, and other
phenomena related to the astronomy in general. N.B.: Excuse for my fast
typing way and mispelled English words on the note.

Nice Moon, Marco Valois

Follow-Ups: References: