[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) A Question of Direction (About Meteors!)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Lunsford" <lunro.imo.usa@coxdot net>
Subject: (meteorobs) A Question of Direction (About Meteors!)

> Mark,
>
> I use "true north" for the reasons Mr. Majden provided. Therefore these
> directions are the same whether you are located in New York or Australia.
>
> It should be noted that direction is one of the less important
> parameters in meteor observing.

Mark:

Direction information is important when reporting a "fireball" observation.
This should include the direction of first sighting and elevation above the
horizon.  The direction of last sighting and elevation above the horizon.
The slope angle of the fireball also provides useful information.  This can
be measured with a carpenter level that measures angles or roof slopes.
Your location is also important.  As Robert Lunsford states, this is not
important for "normal" meteor observing, only when reporting fireball
observations.

Ed Majden