[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) A Question of Direction (About Meteors!)

Mark Fox asked a great question, which is bound to be
on the minds of many newer readers... Thanks, Mark!

And in reply, you've now got responses from some of our
most experienced observers on 'meteorobs', Mark! I hope
they were helpful to you? Also, I wanted to clarify one
or two thing Ed Majden mentioned in his last reply:

>Your location is also important.  As Robert Lunsford
>states, this is not important for "normal" meteor
>observing, only when reporting fireball observations.

Here, Ed is NOT saying that your location is unimportant
in a meteor report... Actually, your observing location
is important in BOTH fireball and meteor shower reports.

Ed was just saying that when you report observations of
meteor showers (as opposed to a single very BRIGHT meteor
or fireball), directions and elevations are not critical.

On the other hand, after you have been observing meteor
showers a while, you may wish to graduate to plotting the
meteors you see: http://www.imodot net/visual/minor01.html
Once you start trying to master that skill, getting the
sky and all its directions and angular distances mapped
out in your mind will become VERY important... But worry
about that when the time comes! In the mean time, focus
your attention more on associating meteors with the cor-
rect shower, than noting what direction they travel in.

Take care, Mark, and thanks again for your note!

Lew Gramer
http://www.meteorobs.org
http://www.namnmeteors.org