[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) The Value Of "Side Dishes" During Meteor Observations

December 1, 2002

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

I would like to thank everyone for their stupendous
help in answering my latest question regarding
Sirius!  From what I have gathered, the reason of the
differences in apparent magnitude (at least in part)
stem from the fact of how hard it is to measure bright
stars and/or objects like Sirius.  The differences
in distance may also have a similar answer.

As for becoming familiar with variable stars during
the "hunt", I too can picture the benefit of such
dual observations, especially in regard to the meteor
part.  When trying to estimate meteor magnitudes, it
is helpful to realize what nearby stars you are
comparing them too.  This is notably true for variable
stars, as nobody wants to potentially underestimate
(or the other way around) the brightness of a meteor.
Of course, such differences in brightness are usually
only minor and I would think it normally should not
pose a problem--- at least for conducting an average
observation.

Also, the sharpening of ones awareness is probably
quite true in regard to variable stars and other
meteor hunting "side dishes".  I think such additional
activity on our part has the potential of enhancing
and adding depth to our meteor observing skills like
Bruce explained.  After all, like he also elaborated,
it does spread out meteor hunting during the annual
drought and during weak showers.  But, what's more,
some actual undiscovered link to meteor showers may be
unearthed in the process of additional observing as
such things, too, have their mysteries.

Long, bright, and stony, Geminids!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA